Nitrogen – a muscle-building and anti-cancer element in its proper dose and form – has its dark side.
In excess, in its various forms of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and others, nitrogen causes or contributes to many diseases, including cancer.
According to “New ‘Blue Baby’ Disease,” Science News Letter, May 1, 1948 …
“Infant methemoglobinemia is the name of the blue baby disease that comes from too much nitrate in drinking water.”
Richard F. Davis (Modern Dairy Cattle Management, 1962) wrote …
“Several plants grown on soils high in nitrates take up excessive amounts of it and are also a source of poison. Oats and a number of weeds are particularly apt to be offenders.”
Mary Gavaghan, R.N., M.S.N., Ed.D., “Anatomy and Physiology of the Esophagus,” AORN Journal, Feb. 1999 …
“Cancer of the esophagus is of epidemic proportions in some areas of the world (ie, northeastern Iran, the Transkei of South Africa, the Hunan province of China, and certain areas of Russia, India, the Middle East, and Singapore). In the Hunan province, the prevalence of esophageal carcinoma is 0.9% in people more than 30 years of age. The incidence in humans is matched in the poultry population in the same area. Epidemiological studies suggest that the etiology in both instances is the presence of large amounts of carcinogenic nitrosamines in the soil and contamination of foods by fungi and yeast that produce mutagens.”
Nitrate without vitamin C is converted into toxic nitrite in the oral cavity and stomach.
Excess nitrites produce EXCESS BODY MASS.
Nitrates are toxic to …
(1) infants under six months old,
(2) elderly people lacking hydrochloric acid,
(3) pregnant women,
(4) A and AB blood types,
(5) anyone with impaired cytochrome b5 reductase enzyme metabolism,
(6) anyone with childhood-onset diabetes,
(7) anyone with asthma or other respiratory abnormalities,
(8) Viagra abusers,
(9) amyl nitrite abusers (or butyl nitrite or isobutyl nitrite),
(10) melatonin abusers,
(11) nitric oxide abusers, and
(12) anyone foolish enough to take antacids or heartburn medications, especially if they eat irradiated foods or nonorganic nitrate-accumulating food crops, e.g., alfalfa, amaranth leaves, barley, beets, carrots, celery, collards, corn, eggplant, lamb’s quarters, lettuce, oats, radishes,sorghum, spinach, turnip greens, wheat, etc.
Thanks to synthetic nitrate fertilizers, we encounter many more nitrates, nitrites, and nitrosamines in our plant-based fresh foods than in meats and fish containing nitrates as a food preservative and/or nitrites as a food preservative and color fixative.
(An exception to the rule is potatoes, which won’t uptake nitrates.)
Farmers also inject ammonia gas (anhydrous ammonia) directly into the ground to add nitrogen to the soil.
The herbicide 2,4-D also causes toxic elevations of nitrates in nitrate-accumulating foods.
Most of our water supplies are also polluted with nitrates derived from these same synthetic fertilizers.
Food irradiation is another source of nitrosamines (as well as extremely active free radicals).
These nitrates and nitrites create nitrosamines, potent cancer-causing agents capable of oxidizing hemoglobin into methemoglobin in red blood cells.