THE MORNING SHOW
Co-Author of THE 30-DAY SOBRIETY SOLUTION
How to Cut Back or Quit Drinking in the Privacy of Your Own Home
It’s not just a problem for alcoholics who’ve hit rock bottom. Drinking takes a toll on the relationships, finances, careers, health, and families of millions of people. In fact, nearly one out of every three people over the national drinking age meets the definition for excessive drinking, according to a 2014 U.S. government report. Excessive drinkers range from beer-guzzling “weekend warriors” to senior executives who rely on scotch to unwind to suburban moms who polish off a “heart-healthy” bottle of red wine every night. As recent CDC figures attest, excessive drinking is a problem that kills an average of six Americans a day.
Together, Jack Canfield, leading success coach and famed creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul® phenomenon, and Dave Andrews, leading sobriety coach and recovered alcoholic, have developed a highly effective and uniquely liberating approach to ending drinking’s toll. In THE 30-DAY SOBRIETY SOLUTION: How to Cut Back or Quit Drinking in the Privacy of Your Own Home (Atria Books; January 19, 2016; $28.00), Canfield and Andrews offer a solution to people who want to cut back or stop drinking excessively—as well as to the 23.5 million Americans living in recovery and looking to be re-inspired—in their comprehensive, practical, and empowering recovery resource. Drawing on eight years of research into cutting-edge scientific findings about addiction and thousands of hours of working with excessive drinkers, along with their personal experiences and extensive collective knowledge of life transformation, the authors support readers in overcoming their destructive drinking in a completely unprecedented way.
DAVE ANDREWS is an acclaimed sobriety coach and speaker, and a recovered alcoholic who has been sober for eight years. One of the world’s leading experts in helping others recover, reclaim, and reinvent their lives without alcohol, he has been featured on more than fifty national and international talk shows. He serves on the Board of Directors of the nonprofit organizations Young People in Recovery and Advocates for Recovery and is CEO of The 30-Day Solution, LLC. He lives near Denver, Colorado, with his wife and two daughters.
Dave answers these questions and more in this interview:
- What will your life look like without alcohol?
- You have to change on the inside to change long term. Dave talks about the difference between willpower and the real desire to change. Sometimes willpower can be dangerous
- Are you afraid what others would think if they knew how much you drank or leery of the conventional “public” methods of recovery?
- Does the idea of not drinking sound like a boring and dull life, one that is hard to imagine being worth living?
- Are you concerned that your attempt to change or quit will end in failure again, or that you will no longer fit in at social events?
- Does it make you sad to think what it will be like not having your wine, beer, or liquor at the end of a stressful day or week?
- and more in this exceptionally inspirational podcast.
dave andrews on sobriety and addiction, january 26, 2016