Oregano & Wild Oregano Oil: 10 Reason It Known As Powerful and Natural Versatile Medicine
Oregano (Origanum vulgare) is a perennial herb indigenous to Europe, Asia, and particularly the Mediterranean. It is a member of the mint family and is closely related to marjoram. The primary active medical ingredient in oregano is carvacrol, which has its highest concentration in the oil from oregano plants of the Mediterranean.
Science has now proven the health benefits of Oil of Oregano are derived mostly from carvacrol and thymol; these are powerful phenols that have the ability to kill harmful microbes in the body. Studies have shown that these two constituents among many others have anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-parasitic and anti-fungal properties.
10 Health Benefits Of Oregano Oil
1. Cold Sores – Cold sores are typically caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus. Although carvacrol isn’t a cure for herpes or cold sores, it has been shown to have some activity against the microbes that cause flare ups. A recent study suggests that carvacrol can kill up to 90% of herpes simplex type 1 viruses within an hour.
2. Food Poisoning – Undercooked food is a haven for the toxic organisms that can really do a number on your system. Some research has found that these organisms may be inhibited by the active chemical compound in oregano oil.
3. Pneumonia – Oregano oil health benefits include this difficult to treat illness. Diffuse through the room, use in a steam tent, or work into the soles of the feet.
4. Promoting Intestinal Balance – Keeping a proper balance of bacteria in your intestines is crucial for supporting good health. A healthy colony of intestinal flora is necessary for proper digestion and it defends against sickness. Good bacteria also supports the immune system and may be helpful for balancing mood. Carvacrol promotes gut health by creating an appropriate balance of good bacteria vs. bad bacteria.
5. Bone and Joint Discomfort – Redness from irritation is one of the main contributors to arthritis, a painful condition that targets one or more joints throughout the body. Science is moving swiftly to discover how oregano affects arthritis but preliminary studies suggest that carvacrol may hold some promise for easing the discomfort associated with arthritis.
6. Harmful Organisms – If you travel to underdeveloped areas of the world, you may be exposed to organisms that can wreak havoc on your health. Avoiding the water may not be enough to completely protect you either. Even harmful organisms in your natural environment carry a high infection risk, especially if the body is already in poor health. Research has shown that carvacrol may be able to fight some of these invaders. Bring your oregano oil while traveling!
7. Intestinal Parasites – You can access the best oregano oil health benefits by massaging into the soles of the feet and in a clockwise motion over the abdomen. Also be sure to take the oil internally, such as by adding to capsules or meals, but not for more than a week or so.
8. Liver Toxicity – Toxins exist in our water, food, and even the air we breathe. The ever-present barrage of toxins in our environment is extraordinary, and the burden it places on our liver is equally mind boggling. Carvacrol may help detox the liver, our primary detoxifying organ. Using this herb during a regular detox regimen may be helpful for boosting the detoxifying process.
9. Whooping Cough – Massage over chest and into the pads of the feet. Also consider diffusing through the air.
10. Immune System – The oregano oil increased the number of white blood cells in the pigs’ milk, which strongly suggests that it boosted the immune system of the pigs. What’s also interesting is that the piglets of the mothers who received oregano oil, drank more milk, demonstrating a positive effect for the children of nursing mothers who take oregano oil supplements.